Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Wait a minute? Construction Workers Drink At Lunch?

I don't know who the New York Times hires for reporters these days but they seem to be very naive. Today the paper ran a story breathlessly revealing that contstruction workers on a New York skyscraper were sucking down whiskey and beer at a nearby bar during lunch hour. Do the reporters know how cold it is on a skyscraper in NYC in February in the middle of an ice storm? Since when do construction workers not drink booze on the job? The chief incentive for the immigrant workers who dug the Irie Canal (four feet deep and hundreds of miles long) were the big barrels of whiskey on the banks of the dig. Here in Los Angeles, immigrant workmen (nearly all of whom are Mexican) don't have cold weather for an excuse. but they park their cars in front of my house anyway, suck down their 12 packs, and leave the empty Coronas on my lawn. I've been cleaning up their bottles for years. I ought to send the NY Times a news tip--"Mexican immigrant workers litter the laws of honest homeowners with empty beer bottles. City officials stunned."

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Eagle Rock (Los Angeles), California, United States
I write articles, columns, books, very occasional screenplays and make amateur videos. I also maintain a dozen or so blog sites, some better than others.