Wednesday, March 24, 2010

How About Supporting Americans Too?

Speaking before AIPAC the other day, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said that "Our commitment to Israel's security and Israel's future is rock solid, unwavering, enduring and forever."

Well, that's pretty clear. It's also pretty embarrassing.

What is it with politicians? Why, when the subject is Israel, do they so often make such abject and craven pledges of eternal fealty? Do they think every American Jew with a checkbook is going to slam it shut if a politician fails to grovel about Israel first?

And that reminds me of something else. Why do politicians (so rashly) pledge their lives for Israel? I once heard Bill Clinton say he would "grab a gun and die for Israel." Stephen Spielberg said something similar, though he had the good sense to add, "of course, I would die for America too." I never heard any politician say he would die for the unemployed working class of America's rust belt states.

Don't they know that working class people in the rust belt states actually listen to their speeches? They sit in coffee shops and roll their eyes when they hear these pledges of supporting Israel forever. I know what's going through their minds too. "How come these politicians are so hot on supporting foreign countries but you never hear them make any tearful eternal pledges to support jobs for working class people like us?"

I wonder whom these politicians think they're working for. It's obviously not their fellow Americans.


No comments:

About Me

My photo
Eagle Rock (Los Angeles), California, United States
I write articles, columns, books, very occasional screenplays and make amateur videos. I also maintain a dozen or so blog sites, some better than others.