Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Stupidity of Rebuilding Houses Below Sea Level

I'm getting pretty tired of writers who take it as a given that the government is incredibly derelict in not making the Katrina victims whole again or doing it faster. I don't know why it is assumed it makes it makes good sense to rebuild houses in a part of town below sea level. I read a book by a Louisiana climatologist who justified the need to rebuild houses below water level on the grounds that much of the Netherlands is below sea level too.

Well so what? They are short of space in the Netherlands. They have to build below sea level. Otherwise there would be no other place to live. That is certainly not true of the area around New Orleans though. If all the residents were relocated five or ten miles to higher ground they'd all be fine. And a lot safer the next time another hurricane comes through.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Eagle Rock (Los Angeles), California, United States
I write articles, columns, books, very occasional screenplays and make amateur videos. I also maintain a dozen or so blog sites, some better than others.